WE STOP - YOU STOP!
Drivers must stop for school buses that display flashing red lights and extended stop signs.
- Failure to stop behind a bus carries a $368 fine with escalating penalties
- Safety is everyone's responsibility
Okanagan Public Schools Transportation department currently operates 70 school bus routes providing school bus transportation service to students in Lake Country, Kelowna, West Kelowna and Peachland.
Changing student demographics requires the Transportation Department conduct a review of the bus routes each year and apply adjustments where required. School bus routes are designed to service eligible students attending their English catchment school whose application was received on or before the deadline date of May 31.
Although our Transportation office accepts applications throughout the school year, priority is given to the applications submitted between January 30 and May 31.
SCHOOL BUS REGISTRATION TIMELINE 2023-2024 Year
- Applications received for eligible students between January 30 and May 31, 2023 will be processed first and can take until to end of June to complete.
- Applications for courtesy riders received between January 30 and May 31, 2023 will be processed in June and July.
- Most bus routes are at full capacity once all applications received between January 30 and May 31, 2023 are processed.
- Applications received after May 31 will not be processed until August or later and students will be placed on a waitlist. Parents will be notified when the application has been processed and advised if seat space is available.
- School bus route and bus stop information will be distributed to parents in August.
- Transportation Fees will be applied to the parents School Cash Online account at the beginning of September.
- Parents and caregivers must assess their child daily for symptoms of common cold, influenza, COVID-19, or other infectious respiratory disease before sending them to school.
- Students should clean their hands before and after taking the bus. Hand sanitizer is available and students may use upon loading or unloading the school bus.
- All students will have assigned seats and may not switch or move seats unless permitted to do so by the driver.
- Only registered riders may be transported on the school bus, no guest passengers are permitted to ride.
- Other than a student's water bottle, food or beverages may not be consumed while riding on the school bus and lunch/snacks must remain in the students backpack or lunch kit.
For eligibility requirements for transportation click here
Transportation Services Policy 470R click here
To apply for school bus transportation for school starting September 2023-24 click here
To provide safe, reliable, economical and accessible student transportation in a climate conducive to learning and mutual respect in the SD No.23 Central Okanagan community.
To be a leader of new and emerging technologies in the enhancement of student safety and a model of excellence for our profession.