Sexual Health Education classes address different topics in each grade level. In the younger grades, Sexual Health Education teachers professionally and factually discuss the physical and emotional changes that the children can expect as they approach and experience puberty. In the middle and secondary grades, topics are expanded to include adolescent sexuality, decision making, personal safety, and life-affecting issues common to young people.
Sexual Health Education Goals
1. To provide students in grades 4 through 11 with the opportunity to receive accurate, relevant, and updated information on adolescent sexuality based on BC Ministry of Education Physical and Health Education curriculum (gr 4-9) and Planning 10/11 curriculum.
2. Students will gain knowledge necessary to make informed choices about their sexual health and safety, and will develop an awareness of the positive and negative consequences of the possible choices for themselves and others.
3. Sexual Health Education teachers will create a comfortable, safe, and respectful coeducational classroom climate for students to enable discussion of a range of sensitive topics dealing with adolescent sexuality and relationships.
In 2016-2017 three Central Okanagan Public School Sexual Health Education teachers present content to students in grades 4 through 11.
- Grade 4 students receive 1 lesson of 1.25 hours of instruction.
- Grade 5 students receive 2 lessons of 1.5 hours of instruction each.
- Grade 6 students receive 3 lessons for approximately 4 hours total .
- Grades 7-9 students receive 4 lessons 1.25 hours each.
- Grade 10-11 students receive 2 lessons of 1.25 hours each.