Our Mission: To educate students in a safe, inspirational learning environment where every student develops the knowledge and skills to be a lifelong learner and a healthy productive member of our global society.
Our Vision: School District No. 23 (Central Okanagan) is a progressive leader in education, which sets the standard for educational excellence and ensures that every student has opportunities to succeed.
- Honesty is the building block for relationships and the basis for trust. It is the absence of falsehood and the action of full disclosure. It is the ultimate test of moral strength. When honesty is present, integrity will also be apparent.
- Responsibility is being accountable for our actions and their consequences. When we demonstrate responsibility, we are doing our best to meet the expectations of ourselves and others.
- Respect is "to consider worthy of high regard". Being respectful is an attitude of honouring people and caring about their rights.
- Empathy is a feeling of concern, compassion and understanding of another's situation or feelings.
- While recognizing individual situations and differences, Fairness is ensuring impartiality where everyone plays by the same rules.
Achievement Contract Goals
Each year, the District is responsible for completing an Achievement Contract with the Ministry of Education. Achievement Contracts "strengthen the Board's commitment to continuous improvement and help to ensure student outcomes, which are based on meaningful data" (BCSTA Keyworks). Our District has shown strong dedication to student achievement and our students have proven that they are exceptional. To continue to strive for student success, the District has identified, for 2014/2015, the following District Goals:
1. Student Reading Results - To continue to strive for a high level of literacy skill acquisition for ALL students.
2. School Completion Levels - To continue to improve the number of our students wiho will earn their Dogwood Diploma or Evergreen Certificate within six years of starting grade 8, and be ready for the transition beyond secondary school.
3. Improving Achievement Results for Aboriginal Learners
- Student Reading Results - To enhance literacy skill development of Primary Aboriginal students.
- Student Completion Levels - By June 2019, 90% of our Aboriginal students will earn their Dogwood Diploma or Evergreen Certificate within six years of starting grade 8.
4. Increasing Enrolment in Skills and Technical Training
OUR OVERARCHING GOAL
"Each Central Okanagan School District student (K-12) will provide evidence of being a learner, thinker, innovator, collaborator, and contributor."
ATTRIBUTES OF OUR LEARNERS
A Learner is one who is engaged, resilient and seeks to understand through:
Literacy, Numeracy and Subject Competencies
Information, Media, and Technology Literacy
Self-Direction, Work Ethic and Accountability
A Thinker is one who analyzes, makes connections, inferences, asks questions, and transfers knowledge through:
Critical Thinking and Problem Solving
Open Mindedness and Reflection
Flexibility and Adaptability
An Innovator is one who sees possibilities and generates original ideas with value through:
Curiosity and Imagination
Creativity, Design and Performance
Initiative and Entrepreneurship
A Collaborator is one who excels at working with others to create new understanding through:
A Contributor is a citizen who participates in the local and global community through:
Finding, Following, and Sharing Passions
Respect, Empathy, and Kindness
Integrity and Ethical Behaviour
Civic and Environmental Responsibility
Embracing Diverse Cultures and Lifestyles